Senior Tax Manager

Accounting & Finance
Permanent
Remote - Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Posted on June 26, 2024

This is a newly created position in which you will be the most senior tax person in the company enabling you to take ownership of tax compliance across the US and Canada, and drive tax planning and strategy activities.

Already a leader in the North American market, the company has ambitious plans for further growth and expansion, including through acquisition and entering wider global markets.

The position is fully remote requiring you at their Downtown Vancouver office a few times per month.

You will report into a well-tenured and knowledgeable VP Finance, and work closely with the personable and engaging CFO, both based in BC.   
 

Who - the Company:

Privately owned, the company is one of the North America’s leading industrial manufactures to the forestry industry, supplying many of the tier 1 forestry organizations across Canada and the US.

They have a long-standing history and multiple locations across North America.
 

What - the Role:

As mentioned, the role reports to the VP Finance as well as working closely with the CFO, for example, in supporting M&A activities from a tax standpoint. The tax team consists of a couple of tax accountants in the US, and you will also have support and assistance from the company’s external tax advisors in Vancouver. 

Primarily, your role will involve managing tax compliance work for both the US and Canada, accounting for approximately 60% of the position, with the remaining 40% focusing on tax planning and strategic duties.  You will also have oversight of tax compliance and planning when the company enters new global jurisdictions.

Responsibilities: 

  • Oversee the process, preparation and filing of Canadian and US corporate tax returns, ensuring compliance with federal, provincial, state, and local tax laws.
  • Co Manage the accurate and timely remittance of tax payments, including direct and indirect taxes with both Canadian and US Corporate Controllers and their staff.
  • Coordinate with external tax advisors and auditors to ensure compliance with statutory requirements.
  • Develop and implement tax strategies to optimize the company’s tax position while ensuring compliance with relevant laws.
  • Provide strategic tax advice on business transactions, mergers and acquisitions
  • Conduct tax research and stay current with changes in tax legislation in both Canada and the US.
  • Management of the conduct of tax research, technical positioning, and overall documentation of tax related matters.
  • Manage regional tax inquiries, disputes, audits by tax authorities, and other assigned tax management duties to ensure compliance and efficiency.

 

Who - the Candidate:

You will have management/ senior management level experience in corporate tax, with exposure to both Canadian and US tax regulations, and you may be working within a public practice firm, or in an in-house function; they are very open to both.

Experience within a mining or forestry business or working with mining or forestry clients is nice to have, but not must, and a full CPA designation is sought.

You can expect to thrive if you are proactive in your approach and an effective communicator, and you enjoy taking ownership, managing complex tasks, and generally figuring things out.  You will be joining a collaborative company and team of real doers. 
 

Where:

The role is mostly remote requiring you at their Downtown Vancouver office a few times per month.
 

How Much:

Base salary of between $150,000 and $180,000, Defined Contribution RRSP Plan, extended health and dental benefits, and up 4 weeks vacation.
 

When & How to Apply:

Swim Recruiting is exclusively recruiting the role and will be screening and shortlisting on behalf of our client and presenting suitable candidates directly to the hiring team for review. If you are interested in this opportunity, please do not hesitate to apply. If you already have a Recruiter at SWIM, please reach out soon. If you do not yet have a contact at Swim Recruiting, please hit 'APPLY NOW' and send us your resume.